INTRODUCTION Air Mshl LK Verma, AVSM (Retd)
Date of Birth – October 17, 1941,
MBBS, M Sc (Ecology and Environment, Sikkim Manipal University, India), Ph D emphasis- HealthCare Waste Management, International Open University, the Netherlands)
• Retired Dir Gen Medical Services, Indian Air Force
• Has been in the fore front of health care waste management problems in India
• Credited with having laid down a proper Hosp Waste Management System in the Air Force Hospital, Bangalore as a WHO Sponsored Pilot Project- 1999- 2000
• Undertook many research projects including a DRDO project to study bacterial mutation in the hospital waste.
• Has published many articles and scientific papers
• Author of book – ‘Managing Healthcare Waste – A Practical Approach’ (ISBN 81- 87966- 61-0, Knowledge World (2007)
• Delivered large number of talks/Presidential addresses/ Keynote addresses related to environmental protection & waste management in India and abroad. Most recent being a plenary talk on ‘healthcare waste management, issues and concerns’ at Colombo in the annual conference of College of Microbiologists on 14th September 2007, as invited Plenary speaker.
• Developed new concepts of
o Waste Management Authority of India (WMAI)
o Mobile Health Care Waste Management system
o Food Waste Management System
• Developed course structure for training in health care waste for the SEA Region Countries as a part of WHO-SEARO& INGNOU collaborative project
• President/Founding President/ Member of many National & International scientific societies
• Honored with president of India Award & Felicitated by Govt of Bihar for extraordinary contribution in healthcare management in the Indian Air Force
• An active participant in conferences and seminars
• President Indian Society of Hospital Waste Management (ISHWM)
• Founder President VIKALP- Seeking Waste Solutions through Alternatives. www.vikalp.org.in
• CMD, Vegma Enviro Consultants India Pvt Ltd (VECPL).
Contacts - +91-11-25094702 (H), 28032767 (W), +91-9312626462 (Mob),
emails- Lalji.firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org